Saturday 29 March 2014

Mexico Cross Over 2014 - Depart Playa del Carmen to Havana Cuba | Saturday, Feb 22 - 0km

Possibility to continue your trip individually or (optional) transfer to the airport. - Trip Notes 




After farewelling Slavica I thought it would be wise to go online and pay all bills due as I have no idea when I’ll get internet in Havana.I checked out at 12 noon and walked around a bit. I could not resist having panuchos for lunch at Sandra’s.







After lunch, I returned to the hotel and sat around for an hour waiting for the airport shuttle which turned out to be private driver who had been looking for Holiday Inn rather than Holiday & Adventure… It was a fast drive to the airport and, after I bought my Cuban visitor’s card, I checked in without a problem and met a group from America including Alexandra Spring who is a very interesting entomologist from Baltimore.

It was only a 45 minute flight to Havana and, despite what I had read about having to produce proof of insurance and hotel reservations, I was waved through immigration and customs without having to produce anything other than my passport and visitor’s card.

As I exited I was approached by young man eager to help. He showed me where to change money up one level and then offered me a ride in his private taxi for 20CUC. His taxi turned out to a beat up old car (not one that you see in the photos). He picked up another local just outside the airport and sped into town. 

I checked in at the Hotel Caribbean which is a bit of a dump. After a quick walk around the block and ascertaining there was no internet I retired to bed.

CUBA TRIP BLOG TO FOLLOW - STAY TUNED!!

No comments:

Post a Comment