Sunday 20 October 2013

Jordan Day 7 – Dana to Petra - 79km




Today, our route will take us via Shobak Castle, one of the great chain of Crusader fortresses, which stretches across Jordan and was built in the year 1115. Beyond the castle, an initial steep climb through small villages leads us to Hisheh and magnificent views down to the natural white rock domes of Beida. We descend to Beida and stop to explore the site of Little Petra before we continue to Wadi Musa (1150m) the 'Valley of Moses’ which is the little town that acts as a gateway to the 'rose-red city' of Petra. Here, we check in at a comfortable hotel for a 2-night stay. Ride Distance: 79 km (49 miles) with 1150 metres of ascent and 1650 metres of descent.- KE Adventure Trip Notes





We cycled to Shobak Castle which we entered by climbing down a shaft and then scrambling up a pitch black tunnel. Luckily there were a couple of riders with head lamps and I had Ken behind me to give a gentle push and catch me if I slipped. It was not a pleasant experience for me and left me huffing and puffing for some time.









Once we emerged into the sunlight, we wandered around and took in the views. I was too traumatised to resume cycling (apart from the fact it was uphill again) and took a nap in the bus.

I cycled the downhill after lunch into Little Petra which was quite interesting and kept cycling afterwards for a few kms before calling it a day with 36km on the clock and busing into Edom Hotel Petra which will be home for two nights The Poms headed out for a Turkish steam bath and massage, which they well deserved, and I updated the blog before regrouping for an average buffet dinner at the hotel.







*Photos courtesy of Andrew Douglas.

No comments:

Post a Comment