Wednesday 13 July 2011

Orient Express Day 36 Carta to Balea Lac - 40km


After yesterday’s rather unpleasant day, 40km at first glance should have been a welcome relief - except almost 30km was climbing up the mountain with a gain of around 1300 metres. 

I set off with Stirling and managed the first 20km without too much difficulty but I eventually fell behind with stops for water and stretching. I met up with Stirling at a little town about 10km from the top and sat down for a Coke and snack bar.



The last 10km was much steeper and it was not long before the steep gradient took its toll and every pedal stroke caused a pain in my back. So I walked in the last 6km and finished just ahead of an official race, which is the reason there were so many cars and signs on the road.

I actually walked across the official finish line about 10 minutes before the winner sprinted across! I learned later that Edna and her group were actually stopped by the officials to allow the racers to cycle through.

It was an interesting walk and I wondered how I missed the cable car station at the little town below - but that would have been cheating, wouldn't it?


Not happy....









We are staying at Cabana Balea Lac at the top of the pass and there were still plenty of people here, being a Sunday, by the time we had dinner at the very busy restaurant. Meat ball soup with sour cream, chicken schnitzel  with chips and salad and a pastry with cream inside made up for my lack of food the last couple of days.The waitress spoke perfect English but did not crack a smile...

I am sharing a small room, with two single beds, with Francois tonight. He is a real character and we should have a few laughs as if either of us rolls over he might end up on top of the other! 







No comments:

Post a Comment