Wednesday 13 July 2011

Orient Express Day 38 Curtea de Arges to Targoviste - 126km


Note to self – pack a spirit level with tent.

Although the tent looked fine when I pitched it, once I got in for the night it was quickly apparent that I was on sloping ground. So I spent the night sliding one way, waking up and rolling over and then sliding the other way and so on. The dogs again decided to play broken telephone and the message came back to our camp dogs around 5am..

The rain stopped overnight but the tent was wet, which has been fairly standard this trip.

I started off with Edna, Mieke, PC, Rudolph and Stirling and spent most of the day ahead with Stirling. The first 62km was “challenging” with 5 hill climbs but the scenery remained interesting. I spotted a stork’s nest on the turn into a gypsy town where the locals were waiting waving our flagging tape and asking for money.





 























More watermelon for lunch and I set off with Stirling for the final 60km haul to Targoviste. Although the riding was relatively easy, there was not much of interest apart from the river and a few animals and we were lucky to arrive in town before the afternoon heat became oppressive which it did on my walk through the town before dinner.

Edna, Mieke and PC arrive at lunch as I depart



Luckily I stopped for ice cream, Fanta and kebabs as my dinner of “3 meats” with chips and salad sprinkled with cheese was inedible (by my standards anyway) and was eventually fed to the dog outside the restaurant. The waiter refused to give me tap water so I got my own from the bathroom!


 














SPOT THE DIFFERENCE - One edible and delicious.... The other unfit for human consumption...

I am rooming tonight with Francois and, on past performance, it should be a quiet night!

No comments:

Post a Comment