Wednesday 13 July 2011

Orient Express Day 35 Alba Iulia to Carta - 152km


It was going to be a long day so Stirling and John set off straight after breakfast with me in hot pursuit as I really did not want to cycle solo. It was quite cool early on but as the day progressed the sun got hotter.

According to the signs, we were cycling in wine country and there was ample evidence of vines but no actual wineries on our route.




 






 
There were the usual array of churches and farm animals and the scenery changed from flat to hilly, somewhat reminiscent of Sicily.




 















Lunch was at around 60km and I feasted on watermelon which cooled me down but did not really provide sufficient sustenance for the long hot afternoon ahead which included hills, unmade roads and a long stretch of gravel towards camp. 

I lagged behind with stops for water, cold soft drinks and ice cream at several places but knew I was heading in the right direction as I could see fresh bike tyre marks in the sandy parts of the unmade roads.Ric joined the wounded with knee and elbow wounds after being catching his bike on a cable on the road - very unlucky.

I found John looking for the campground and Esther joined us for the last 2km into camp which had its own collection of farm animals including chickens intent on checking out our tents!


I lay down on the grass almost depleted and Francois kindly offered to bring back some Coke from the nearby shop as he was heading out for a beer. With one Coke downed, and showered,  I was ready for our 6pm dinner which for the first time was delayed for about 45 minutes.


Edna and her co-riders came in just after 6 and in reasonable spirits for such a long hot day. Pasta shells with a fish sauce for dinner and then off to the tent. Dogs barking in relay til after 10pm made it difficult to sleep but I got there eventually.It had been the toughest day of the trip so far.


No comments:

Post a Comment