Thursday 14 July 2011

Orient Express Day 40 Bucharest Rest Day - 0km

As several from our Group set off on an expensive private 4 hour tour of Bucharest, I made my plans for three separate tours today.

TOUR 1 - GUIDE FRANCOIS    TOUR 2 - SELF GUIDED     TOUR 3 - GUIDE ANDREW





Francois led me on his own personalised tour of Bucharest having explored the city yesterday. We hit the high spots and all it cost me was a cup of coffee. Bucharest is dominated by the Parliament/Palace and here is one angle:



We parted company and I took the usual array of photos as is customary for rest days. Highlights at the end of this blog...

After a quick lunch near the hotel and some internet research, I headed back to the old city for my self guided Jewish highlights tour. Bucharest is drab and depressing all by itself but the recently completed Holocaust memorial is quite horrible.. It is very missable if you don't know where to look and almost in the middle of a car park. It is impossible to have an overall view and I was the only one there apart from a janitor who was washing down the concrete..




















Then there were three synagogues to visit, none of which was open. The Great Synagogue is hidden behind apartment buildings. I took photos but easier to look at these links:

http://www.inyourpocket.com/romania/bucharest/sightseeing/jewishbucharest

http://fiveprime.org/hivemind/Tags/bucharest,synagogue

I then joined my guide Andrew for the Free Walking Tour which took 2 hours and was greatly informative. All up cost - a tip of 5 euro..

And as it is a rest day, selection of photos for your enjoyment.










AND, FINALLY, LIFE IMITATING ART.....





No comments:

Post a Comment