Thursday 10 April 2014

Cuba Caribbean Flair - Cuba on 2 Wheels 2014 - Holguin - Bayamo - Manzanillo | Monday, March 17 - 28km


After breakfast you will be transported to Bayamo and your cycling holiday in Cuba officially begins with a 70 kilometre trip to Manzanillo, a small harbour town on the coast which is mainly known for sugar exporting and its crabs and lobsters. You will have lunch or a picnic during the tour. You will be accommodated in the Hotel Guacanayabo, where you will be dining too. Enjoy the magnificent view of the sea from your hotel. (incl. breakfast, lunch/picnic, dinner) - Trip Notes

Buffet breakfast this morning. Their version of toast and French toast beggars belief! I had some fruit, watered down juice, coffee and a very thin precooked omelette..
 
We bussed in to Holguin up to the lookout (which I walked up yesterday) and then into the main square and surrounds for a “guided tour” by Ramon who speaks Germlish so both Herbert and I are having difficulty following what he is saying.
 

We continued by bus to Cauto Cristo to prepare the bikes for a ride to Bayamo. The bikes were the same as in Havana but this time the pedals would not budge so we found a mechanic nearby who managed to get them off so I could fit mine! My bike spanner is now somewhat ruined as the metal could not take the strain.. Having wasted enough time, I did not try to fit my odometer.
 

 

Off we cycled and this bike was useless! I figured the brakes were too close to the wheel rims so our driver Jordan managed to adjust them. Much better! There were roadworks in progress with wet watery smelly tar for about a kilometre. I felt quite sick from the smell which was like petrol and still felt sick when we stopped just short of Bayamo centro having cycled 28km through sugar cane and tomato country.

 

We bussed in to the main square for lunch at a nice bistro filled with tour groups at the rear but we were inside. Two piñitas on ice helped ease the “petrol” effect but I passed on the bread and salad and poked at my beef and mashed potatoes. The meat reminded me of braised brisket! I then passed on the dessert of rice pudding..

 

 

Ramon gave us an hour to wander around Bayamo but we were done in 20 minutes! It was quite hot so a Limon Refresco was in order. We eventually met up with Ramon and continued by bus through rice fields to Hotel Guacanayabo in Manzanillo. What a dump! We were told that the evening hot water is from 6 to 10 and arranged to meet in the lobby at 730 to go to dinner.

 

 

 




 
I rested in the room with Spanish ESPN2 on the no remote no English tv and then showered and wandered outside to find the alleged magnificent view of the hotel. Maybe if I climbed onto the roof? In the lobby at 730 with Herbert but no sign of Ramon until 750. He had overslept. To the dining room for a dinner “not included”. I ordered the chicken and a Tukola (Cuban cola) and it was not bad. Hard crackers and sliced cucumber with a plate of mayonnaise - which seems to be standard - turned up and I pushed them away for the others to eat. I did not order ice cream but one turned up anyway and when I waved it away the waiter gave it to Ramon. Imagine my surprise when the bill came and I was charged for the crackers, the cucumber and the ice cream! Lesson learned as was one by the waiter who received no tip from me although I did make a few suggestions for Ramon to pass on!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment