Sunday 6 April 2014

Cuba Cross Over 2014 - Havana | Saturday, March 8 - 0km

This morning is free at your disposal. You can stroll through Havana Vieja for souvenirs to take back home. In the afternoon you may either be transferred to the airport(optional) for your return flight back home or continue to your connecting hotel. (breakfast) Transfer to Aparthotel Comodoro. - Trip Notes

After a week off eggs, I decided on 2 fried eggs for breakfast with fresh orange juice and coffee. Although the tour ended last night, most of the Group stayed overnight and final farewells took place through the morning.
 


I went for a walk to capture some images I had missed 2 weeks ago and found a reasonably priced hotel to stay on 26 March - Lido - around the corner from Plaza. I could not justify staying another night in an expensive crappy room..
 
 


 
 

 


Matthias arranged a late check out and allowed me and Klaus to leave our bags in his room. So we checked out and wandered down Obispo to the Parrillada restaurant where we had lunch on our first group day. I had pollo marinado a la parilla (grilled chicken) which was quite good and we finished off with a pina colada. A trip highlight was when a dirty old street beggar in a wheelchair approached Klaus for money and Klaus whipped out a bar of hotel soap from his bag and threw it onto the beggar's lap! Quite an amusing reaction...

 

 
 


 



We walked back to the Plaza via the Floridita, famous for the Hemingway connection, where Matthias and Klaus stopped for a daiquiri. 



Klaus and I then shared a taxi to the Mirimar area stopping first at Klaus’ casa particulare and then on to Aparthotel Comodoro, my home for the next week.
 
The room allocated to me was unacceptable – the tv and airconditioner did not work – so I went back to reception and demanded a better room which I got, except the remote controls for the tv and airconditioner were missing! Despite asking housekeeping twice for the remotes they did not appear so I decided to stay put for the night with manual operation! Klaus came by for a drink but I had coffee as my stomach has been uneasy today…

No comments:

Post a Comment