Wednesday 9 April 2014

Cuba Caribbean Flair - Cuba on 2 Wheels 2014 - Holguin | Sunday, March 16 - 0km


Meet your tour guide in Holguin. You will spend the night in the Hotel El Bosque where you will also have dinner. (incl. dinner) - Trip Notes


I slept OK and went for breakfast to the hotel restaurant. No buffet! I ordered toast with marmalade, juice and coffee. The toast was like crispbread, the marmalade was watery mango, the juice was mango and quite nice and the coffee was ordinary...

I walked around the hotel area and checked out the impressive Che memorial.

 

 

 
 
 
Then into Holguin, about 3 kms away. It's quite a nice little town. Above the city is La Loma de la Cruz, a strategic hill and emblem of the city. On 3 May 1790, a Franciscan priest, Antonio de Alegría, came with a group of religious people and put up the cross. All the streets of the town were laid out from that strategic point which has a lookout tower built by the Spanish during the 10 Years' War.



 

 
After climbing the 450 stairs to the top, I bought a soft drink and headed back down to explore the interesting street art, squares and memorials. It was quite hot so I downed a few more soft drinks while wandering around including a visit to the cemetery.
 

 

 

 

 
 

 
 
 
 

 
 

 
 
 
 
 

 
 


When I finally got back to the hotel, there was a message from the guide to meet at 5.30. I had a nap and awoke feeling very salty from the sweat generated in my walk so I showered changed and met our guide Ramon and my co-cyclist Herbert from Germany in lobby for a tour briefing.
 

Dinner at the hotel restaurant was quite nice as I hadn’t eaten a proper meal for a couple of days. Spag bol a safe choice.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment