Saturday 12 April 2014

Cuba Caribbean Flair - Cuba on 2 Wheels 2014 - Chivirico - Santiago de Cuba | Friday, March 21 - 32km


After breakfast, we will go on a 70 km cycle tour to Chivirico, where you will have lunch and some free time for exploration. Transfer back to Santiago de Cuba. Accommodation at Hotel Villa Gaviota. (incl. breakfast, lunch/picnic) - Trip Notes



After breakfast I headed to the Immigration Office at 745 to be first in line for the supposed 8am opening – except they opened at 830! I got the Visa extension and made my way back to the hotel to change into cycling gear for a 9am departure by bus to 40km short of Chivirico. 
 

I cycled 32km. It was pleasant along the seashore. The others cycled another 8 or so km on roadworks and uphills with no sea views.


 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 




The "picnic lunch" was a cheese and ham roll, two guavas and a mango juice tetrapack. I had the juice. While the others swam and mucked around for 90 minutes I enjoyed 2 cold Naranjas (Cuban Fanta) from the local store across the road and checked out the street art.
 
 
 
 

On the way back to Santiago we stopped at the Santa Ifigenia Cemetery where Jose Marti and many other famous Cubans are interred.
 

 
Back at the hotel I de-hammed my picnic lunch as a late lunch/early dinner and went for a walk around the hotel which seems to be a poor residential area with political street art. I bought a packet of strawberry wafers and a can of beer (they had no refrescos) from the local store and that was dessert!
 


 



No comments:

Post a Comment