Friday 11 April 2014

Cuba Caribbean Flair - Cuba on 2 Wheels 2014 - Manzanillo - Niquero | Tuesday, March 18 - 33km

You'll continue your journey on your trusty bicycle. Today's destination, Niquero and Pilon, is about 85 kilometres away, and most of the route is along the coast. You will enjoy a lunch picnic on the way. Your hotel is perfect for nature enthusiasts and invites you to explore the surrounding trails and caves. Overnight and dinner at Hotel Niquero. (incl. breakfast, lunch/picnic, dinner) - Trip Notes

Breakfast was some bread and butter, coffee and a small peach nectar. We bussed out to La Demajagua which is the farm where Carlos Manuel de Cespedes freed the slaves and rebelled against the Spanish in 1868. History buffs should check this link for details: TEN YEARS WAR
 
 


 


We then cycled out en route to Niquero. The sun was strong and there was a headwind at times. We stopped at around 20km for our “boxed lunch” which was two rolls with cheese and a small peach nectar! I managed one roll and another 12km before falling way behind on my trusty "bicycle" and calling it a day.
 

 

 

 
 
 

Herbert wanted to ride all the way to Niquero and, although Ramon tried to keep up with him, Ramon retired at around 50km and we followed Herbert in around 1.30pm to Hotel Niquero. He rode about 65km! It is definitely sugar cane country and the view from my hotel window is the sugar factory. The air is full of dust and the smell of molasses! A town that has no piñita doesn’t quite cut it although we were welcomed at the hotel with a crème de menthe and lemonade cocktail.
 


 

After showering in a trickle of lukewarm water, I walked around but the dust and smell were too much. I downed a Tukola and joined Herbert for a cold beer in the hotel bar before retiring to my room for the afternoon to watch tv. There was nothing else to do..

 
 
 
 
 

Dinner was at the hotel restaurant and, after last night’s experience, I refused the bread, salad, rice and dessert. The soup and roast chicken with chips were quite good, especially as I had not eaten much during the day. Another lesson learned when the bill came and I was charged for all the things I sent back as the menu was “all inclusive”! Any opportunity to rip off a tourist I suppose. I suggested that the waiter have my bread, salad, rice and dessert as his tip but I doubt he understood. Ramon sat sheepishly and simply shrugged his shoulders.. It was his birthday today so I couldn’t really blame him but I now know that I will have to ask at every meal for the rules.



No comments:

Post a Comment