Friday 10 August 2012

Trans Europa Day 34 Hegyko to Szombathely - 59km

BABOONS AT DAWN






BABOONS AT DAWN

















It was agreed last night that this morning would be baboon day so we all turned out for breakfast with our shorts inside out! Great fun was had by all. Some rode off this way but most changed back to normal wear for the comfort of today's short ride to Szombathely which has quite an interesting history as you will see from this link: Szombathely


The memorial to the left is located in Szombathelynext to the former synagogue (now used as a concert hall). More than 4200 Jews once lived in this town and its surrounds before World War II began, but most all were sent to Auschwitz.

Unfortunately, I did not see this in person but extracted the above information and photo from the internet.




















I got into town around 10.30am and had a wander around. Gergo had suggested taking a look at part of the original "Amber Route"" excavated under a Bank and I found the usual array of interesting buildings and street art depicted below.









Part of original Amber Route


After my tour of town, I cycled to camp, set up the tent and then headed to the restaurant across the road for lunch. Gergo had recommended the Hungarian Traubsoda as the soft drink of choice but when I asked for one I was instead offered an Almdudler which I gleefully accepted. Feeling a bit peckish, I ordered Hungarian chicken soup and saffron risotto with shrimp which was beyond delicious and which was washed down with 3 Almdudlers in all for a grand total of less than 13 Euros - a great lunch.




John joined me at lunch for the risotto.



I was just told by Brian, one of our Riders, that Miles is making risotto and corn for dinner...

No comments:

Post a Comment