Saturday 25 August 2012

Trans Europa Day 47 – Casalmaggiore to Bobbio – 113km


Not a good start to the day for me! After following yesterday’s flags in the wrong direction for a little while, I turned back onto the right bike route only to soon find myself down by the river on dirt and crushed rocks.

I finally got back onto the correct route but by then was 13 km and at least an hour behind. I was really not in the mood for another day in the heat and my confidence was eroded further when a middle aged Italian in full riding kit rode up next to me and, as I understood the gist, told me I should shed a few kilograms around the midriff! At least I got a laugh from that.


  


















I reached the lunch van just as Gergo was packing up and he handed me a bowl of watermelon which was quite refreshing.

After 3 days of unrelenting heat I was quite happy to ride in the van to Bobbio where I treated myself to gelato before cycling across the bridge to Camp Ponte Gobbo where a few chinottos on ice were imbibed before dinner of osso buco and risotto with mushrooms. 81kms on the clock today was sufficient.



 

















Our tents were next to caravans of noisy Italian families who decided to party on through the night so it was yet another night of very little rest. Hills tomorrow and there was a special sign for me at camp:

Slow to a crawl






No comments:

Post a Comment