Sunday 26 June 2011

Orient Express Day 21 Emmersdorf to Vienna - 126km [Part 2]

DISCLAIMER: 
Blog owner takes no responsibility for the guest blog of Stirling "Doctor Sluice" Lee


CYCLING WITH DAVID AND EDNA
An epic Yiddisch poem 
(badly translated by Stirling Lee)

I say a story so meshugenah,
It should be told only in Yiddisch
But I am but a simple Goyim
So here is English writed.

Today I rode with David and Edna.
Slowly as I let them pass
I planned upon a secret path
To Vienna where I knew a restaurant
Serving Wiener Schnitzel on a plate as big
As grandma's summer bonnet.

But from afar I saw
David headed to the Berlin Autobahn
"Come back, come back",
I cycled and yelled.
On the Donauweg for Vienna we go,
Not the Berlin Autobahn.

And so ten kilometres out,
Another ten kilometres in,
At Krems we decided then
That Edna take the lead.

Cutting the front of an Israeli cycle tour,
Edna in front, David and I behind,
She stops and says "which way, which way?"
And the Israeli column stopped.
Then David and I stop and say
"Straight ahead, straight ahead!"

Then Edna rides some thirty metres,
And stops and asks "which way, which way?"
Behind her all the Israelis stop,
And then we stop and from the rear we say
"Across the street and left at the lights."

Then Edna crosses the street and stops.
"Which way, which way?" she cries.
And the Israeli column stoips,
And we say "turn right, turn right!".

Some 30 minutes and 2 kilometres hence,
David blew his horn and roared.
Once more into the breach dear friends.
So David like his forefather Moses
Thus did smite the Israelites.

With David and Edna in the front
Behind and slow I plotted
My secret path to a Vienna restaurant
Where there was served bowls of goulash so deep
You could sink your foot up to your ankle.

Then again from afar I saw
David headed on a trail
To the wilderness in Carpathia.
"Come back, come back", I yelled out loud,
Thru bog and marsh and bracken
We do not head for Carpathia.
We must the Donauweg to Vienna ride.

Now all of this of which I tell 
Is just one tiny piece
Of a big long day
On which I cycle with David and Edna
.... For seven fucking weeks!!

OY VEY, THE HORROR, THE HORROR.








No comments:

Post a Comment