Saturday 11 June 2011

Orient Express Day 6 Plombieres to Munster - 103km (inc. bonus 10km)

I think last night was the coldest yet but I managed to put on extra clothes and my rain jacket with hood and get well inside the sleeping bag. I also learned to turn over in the sleeping bag but the Katmandu ground mat migrated across the tent with each turn.

We had been forewarned over last night's dinner that there would be a steep 10km climb at around 56km so we had a hot breakfast of oatmeal with milk and brown sugar, bread with nutella and a hot beverage and started off at an easy pace for 24km or so into Remiremont where we stopped for cafe au lait and a pastry. Then off to Gerardmer/La Bresse.

Edna wanted a pit stop before the climb so we went into Gerardmer. I saw only one sign to La Bresse so off we headed around the quite pretty lake and started what was to become a 6km climb up and then down into La Bresse where we were supposed to arrive by another flatter road ahead of the dreaded 10km climb.
Beautiful Gerardmer - before the detour...

We had spent about an hour on the unexpected detour and so arrived quite late (and last) for lunch. Ricardo had come down to look for us in the van but we declined the 2km ride up the hill. I was out of water and starving so lunch was a welcome sight of bread and goat cheese with tomato and about a litre of orange “juice. We were at the top of the Col de la Schlucht at 1139m with an 18km downhill to come. We put on our rain jackets to brace against the chill of the otherwise exhilarating downhill but my extremities were numb from cold by the time we reached Munster and rode the 2km into camp where Edna's tent was erect and waiting and my bag was sitting all alone. Edna has agreed to contra massages but, alas, no-one seems to want legal advice -- yet...

In any event, Munster is a much warmer site than the previous ones so sleep should come more easily.

I degreased and lubricated my chain and found a nice sticker on my bike which I had not previously noticed. Gergo and Ricardo were quite amused. They tell me I am working way too hard on my 2 inch knobby tyres but, as they say in the classics, what does not kill you makes you stronger.

Dinner comprised risotto with white wine and mushrooms served with sides of lentils and leeks. There is always a green salad on offer but it would be unfair of me to deprive the others of that delicacy..



Night 4 of camping ahead of tomorrow ride across the border into Germany and a hotel in Freiburg.

1 comment:

  1. Oh poor baby brother...I am suffering with you.
    Shame it is still so cold.
    I'm sure you are amusing the others with your camping stories... are they
    suffering as much?
    Look forward to your updates every morning.
    חזק ואמץ

    ReplyDelete