Wednesday 15 June 2011

Orient Express Day 10 Pfohren to Sigmaringen - 89km

Germany exacted some retribution today but also exhibited compassion.

Something felt very wrong this morning when I awoke feeling that I had slept better in the tent than in the Stadt Hotel bed – I think it says a lot about the quality of the bed.

We set off after breakfast on our first day following the Danube bike path. There was, of course, the obligatory stop for coffee and cake in one of the towns along the way. The bike path meanders beside the river, across bridges, into fields, beside the railway and through towns by road but always finds its way back to the river and is extremely well signed.


At around 35k I misjudged the crossing from a road onto the bike path and the kerb reached up to grab my front tyre and throw me to the bitumen. Gravel rash to both knees and my right elbow and a nice friction rub through my riding jersey to the right shoulder. Fortunately, the incident occurred outside a medical instruments factory and in no time a couple of workers were on hand to pick me up and take me to a seat. As I licked my wounds a very nice man appeared from the factory with a first aid kit which seemed in mint condition and he proceeded to clean, spray and dress the three major areas with proficiency.

We had packed our own lunch rolls at camp so I ate one of them to get back some energy and off we went – only another 50km or so to camp.

Another coffee stop – hot chocolate for me – with 18km to go and I took the opportunity to use the urinal.... Germany and I are back on even terms.

We arrived at camp and, as usual, Edna's tent was up and ready for her and I pitched mine just before the rain started. When there was a break in the weather, Edna and I wandered into town and bought some supplies. Chocolate and antiseptic bandaids for me. I felt like a bit of an ass today but will pay closer attention to the crossings for the weeks to come.

Freshly bandaged




Beautiful downtown Sigmaringen

As an aside, Edna learned how to clean her bike today.... Pitching a tent may not be on the cards.


1 comment:

  1. OH NO, PUMPCE.... memories of staying at the Easts' in North Balwyn, so long ago. Hope it heals quickly .... you were lucky to get such quick and efficient first aid..
    thinking of you.
    M xxx

    ReplyDelete