Monday 13 June 2011

Orient Express Day 9 Freiburg to Pfohren - 75km

After such a beautiful sunny rest day yesterday it was with dismay that we awoke to dark grey clouds and imminent rain. Michelle and Alice, who will probably not eat meat sandwiches from camp again, partook of a hearty breakfast with the Group including 2 newcomers Mark and Nadine from Hamburg who joined us today to ride to Regensburg. After the theft of bikes in Troyes, we took no chances at this hotel and the bikes were locked together inside a locked cage for the duration.
Farewell to Freiburg McDonalds


We set off after breakfast in drizzling rain and found our first pit stop around Stegen where the ladies availed themselves of the restroom and I took pleasure urinating on German soil... I was sad to learn that Felix the Cat is missing - perhaps marking my territory will herald his retuirn to defend his teutonic patch.

 
There was an 8km climb to come and my bike computer decided to pack it in so from that point I had no idea of distance or speed. Regrettably, I am still the weakest climber so Edna choofed off ahead and I tailed her up the hill in patchy rain. We eventually got there and then headed off to the lunch stop. Just after lunch, the rain bucketed down and we got soaked. I decided to use Edna's "laughter therapy" so we haha'd our way up some more hills and down some slick downhills into Donaueschingen where we met up with half the Group sheltering in the only cafe open this Monday. It's a German public holiday today and I don't think it is for the Queen's Birthday... Edna and I enjoyed the hamentaschen very much :) We also enjoyed leaving wet patches on the couches..  There should be a photo of Edna here but it won't load - sorry..




The rain stopped so we headed out for the last 6km to our camping ground "Riedsee Camping" which is very large, appears to have quite a few "residents" and is equipped with good facilities including wifi. I have now decided to take my stool into the tent each day to do my bits and pieces before dinner. Much kinder on my back than sitting on the ground.. Spag Bol for dinner tonight and most of us bought punnets of fresh berries or cherries from a little old lady making her way around the campground.

1 comment:

  1. David you will not get me doing this but good on ya if you are fit enough

    ReplyDelete