Wednesday 5 November 2014

Trans Oceania 2014 - Aileron to Alice Springs | Wednesday, November 5 - 133km

After yesterday's ordeal and with forecast headwinds for today, I made the smart decision to send the bike ahead to Alice Springs and work the lunch stop!

David from Toronto and I set up the two tents and anchored them against the strong winds and then the kitchen crew rocked up to finish the chopping before sending Chelsea and David back to collect Aussie Bob who had decided not to battle the headwinds.That left me all alone manning the lunch stop all alone apart from the occasional road train.

 



















Chelsea got back with Bob, Henry, Rae and Ursula just ahead of the peleton who had pushed hard against the wind and were feeling it!
 

I waved down a car being driven by Heather, a local cattle rancher on her way into town for a dentist appointment, and she agreed it would be less painful to give me, Bob and David a ride into Wintersun Cabin & Caravan Park some 50km down the road on the outskirts of Alice. Very nice lady!


After retrieving my bike and bags, I checked in to our cabin, turned on the a/c and then walked the 2km or so into Alice Springs proper where I bought some supplies and treated myself to a sweet & naughtie toastie (ricotta cheese, honey, banana and dark chocolate) and Vienna coffee.
I wandered around a bit to check out the town and then walked back to Wintersun to do laundry.






I had to laugh out loud at the ad placement for the upcoming production of Urinetown... Bound to be a big hit in NT!!
Heading off early tomorrow morning for a tour of Kings Canyon and Uluru. Will post blog when there is wifi!



No comments:

Post a Comment