Saturday 22 November 2014

Trans Oceania 2014 - Jamestown to Riverton | Saturday, November 22 - 125km

I knew I was in trouble as soon as I lay down on my mattress in the tent last night. I managed an hour before succumbing to the impending nausea, crawling on all fours to the tent entrance and throwing up for five or ten minutes! The crew was fantastic and quickly arranged to take me to the Jamestown Hospital where Sister Jill took my history, measured my vitals, pricked my finger for a blood sugar test, jabbed me in the right quad with a Stemetil shot and drew blood from my left arm for a heart attack test (which was negative). She had a little more trouble hooking me up for an ECG and had to shave several spots on my hairy chest to get the sticky things in place!

The doctor was busy somewhere else and, as I had apparently stabilised, Sister Jill decided to let me go but as soon as I was in the TDA van the nausea returned so back in I went for the night! The lady doctor eventually turned up and decided I was not dehydrated so I managed to avoid a drip, my worst fear. My BUPA Private Health Insurance card got me a room and bed for the night which was a great alternative to going back to the tent!

By the morning, I was feeling steady and discharged myself. Andreas and Mark came and collected me in the truck around 7.30am and off we drove to meet up with the van at the lunch spot. I assured Doug that his shashlicks had not contributed to my malaise!
 

Next stop was the Cogwebs bike shop at Auburn for coffee. The town is the birthplace of the well known poet and author CJ Dennis.



















We trucked on to Riverton while the riders cycled the Riesling trail and I booked a cabin with ensuite for the night.
I napped for a couple of hours and emerged to collect by bag and repack it. Andreas and Mark had done a great job taking down my tent and packing my stuff but I needed a change of clothes and it was easier to re-organise the bag now. After a much needed shower and change, I emerged for some Jewish penicillin - Mark's special chicken and mushroom soup with pasta and a good layer of schmaltz!


















Riverton on a Staurday, or probably on any day, is a quiet little town but with history and a few interesting sights. I stopped at the deli for an iced coffee and then headed back to camp for another nap.


I woke up around 5pm and did my photos and blog to this point and about to head to the riders meeting and dinner.

I had slept through Annegrete's birthday drinks which was winding up ahead of the meeting. Mike Coo read out an email from David Jones, who had left us due to injury in Coober Pedy, and then presented us with Certificates for completing the Stuart Highway Crossing by bike. Dinner was stewed chicken pieces and potatoes..



















My certificate should have included car, hitch-hiking, van and truck!

























Probably will not cycle tomorrow into Adelaide for two nights to relax.













No comments:

Post a Comment