Monday 10 November 2014

Trans Oceania 2014 - Alice Springs Rest Day | Saturday, November 8 - Uluru 3


Day three - Uluru to Alice Springs
Wake up early to watch an unforgettable sunrise at Uluru -  the world’s largest rock formation. Today you have the option to do a guided base walk around Uluru or you may choose to climb. On the guided walk you will see interesting sites such as the Mala Walk, Mutijulu Waterhole and Aboriginal cave paintings.

We stop on the way home for an optional camel ride at the Uluru camel farm. From here we drive arrive back to Alice Springs arriving at about 5:30 pm.  You have time to freshen up and head out for dinner on an agreed time and place with your guide and new friends.


We got up really early (around 4am), packed up and headed to the same viewing spot as last night where we had breakfast in similar style to yesterday and waited for the sun to rise over Uluru.




 As my shoes had disintegrated yesterday leaving me just with my thongs I took the drive around Uluru with Tom as he dropped people off for either a 8km, 5km or 2km walk around the Rock. I headed to the café for a cappuccino and then went to the meeting place to await the hikers.



We then started the long drive back to Alice Springs, most of us taking a nap, stopping along the way at a rest stop for lunch in similar style to yesterday with a final stop at a Roadhouse where the youngsters rode camels.



After a group photo coming back into Alice Springs, Tom dropped me back at WinterSun around 430pm.
 


I degreased my bike chain and then lubed it in readiness for resumption of cycling. After a well needed shower, John and I then caught a cab to the Doubleday Hotel and enjoyed an excellent dinner at the Hanuman restaurant.




When we got back I had to do a few things on the computer then sort out my bags before turning in for the night. John had a day’s head start on me!

I did not feel very rested after a quite exhausting 3 days on the road.But it was a great experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment