Friday 14 November 2014

Trans Oceania 2014 - Kulgera to Tarcoonyinna Rest Stop | Tuesday, November 11 - 126km

We were told that tonight's "rest area" would be basic with no facilities at all so I decided to take a day off the bike so at least I would not be hot, sweaty and dehydrated on arrival.
After breakfast with a podium finish, I rode to lunch with Mike and Doug and a few others riding from there and we crossed into South Australia and gained an hour.


Mike set out the deck chairs and then proceeded with Doug to prepare a delicious lunch for the riders.





















Once all the riders were through, we packed up and headed for tonight's camp spot. What a shock to arrive at a gravel pit with nothing else but a snake warning sign! The stop marks the last section of sealed road laid to complete the highway between Darwin and Adelaide.


We were given the choice of signing out and cycling 53km under the burning sun to Marla or staying put and making do. A dozen or so opted to cycle out and the rest of us, including me, stayed put and made do!


Once the sun set, I pitched the tent as close to our truck as possible and pumped up my mattress. Little did I know that pumping on a rocky surface would make a small hole or two causing slow leaks with me ending up sleeping on rocks! I woke every hour or so and pumped up to at least get grabs of sleep!



We had some visitors during the evening. Gerald set up the projector for a showing of Blue Jasmine and we retired to our tents thereafter to catch what sleep we could.








No comments:

Post a Comment