Friday 14 November 2014

Trans Oceania 2014 - Coober Pedy Rest Day | Friday, November 14 - 0km

Our accommodation here is quite luxurious! John has his own king size bedroom and I sleep on a pullout in the kitchen/lounge. The bathroom has a nice shower and vanity and a washer/dryer combo. Two air conditioners, large flat screen TV, stereo system - all the mod cons one could want.Not sure about the half flag at full mast though..

 

 John and I cycled off around 7am in search of breakfast and we eventually ended up at a coffee shop/underground cafe/opal shop/didgeridoo store managed by Charlie who promised us the best coffee in town. It came at a hefty $7.50 but was quite good made from Griffiths beans imported from Melbourne!




















Charlie directed us to the Caltex service station as the only place to serve breakfast and I had a toasted cheese sandwich and apple juice.




I cycled up and down the main street a bit and took a few "rest day" photos before heading back to the suite to update the blog. I then cycled back in to town for a sausage roll lunch at the oddly named BJ Bakery with some drinks from IGA to accompany me home for the afternoon.

I managed to find and patch a couple of small holes in my air mattress. Hopefully I will stay inflated for the whole of the next tent night!









At around 6pm John and I cycled into town under spitting rain to the best Greek tavern in town and enjoyed a selection of calamari, lamb, moussaka and chips with pita and dips.



















All in all, an enjoyable stopover at Coober Pedy and, thanks to TDA, we avoided 2 nights of purgatory underground! Back on the bike tomorrow in forecast cooler weather with a spot of rain.






No comments:

Post a Comment