Saturday 1 November 2014

Trans Oceania 2014 - Renner Springs to Tennant Creek | Friday, October 31 - 160km


I took a handful of thinly sliced apple and headed in the van with three other riders to the lunch spot at around 90km. It was a nice rest area with an eco toilet (which I used) and some historical information.


With the sun beating down on my left, I headed off for the 72km ride into Tennant Creek, There were some nice rolling hills and some good stretches of downhill so the pedaling was not too strenuous.

















I stopped for a Fanta and a raspberry icypole (popsicle) and checked out the memorials to John Flynn who founded the Fling Doctors Service.





















About 2km out from Tennant Creek I got picked off by Chris, Paul, Gerald and Eric. GReat effort on their part riding as a team given I had a 90km lead on them!

John had prebooked a "cabin" at the caravan park. It was an old tin hut which had been baking in the heat for some time! I turned on the old air conditioner but, given the almost 40C temperature outside, it was of little immediate effect.

Once John got in we got cleaned up and walked along the main road in to "town" to find a lunch spot. The Goldfields Hotel was doing meals so we joined the locals in the tepid main bar for a spot of lunch. I had a toasted cheese sandwich and a can of coke with a glass of ice quickly followed by another.



Although the ice cold Cokes were quite refreshing, I had not counted on the gaseous build up to quickly erupt just as I rushed in to the mens' at the Hotel! Head over bowl it was all over quite quickly!!

With that off my chest, I walked back with John to the cabin but it was still way too hot so I headed to the swimming pool to cool off. John and others in the group headed out to the Memorial Club for dinner and I settled for a mayo cheese burger and apple juice at Red Rooster..



















John got back around 830pm by which time the air con had kicked in and a I managed a reasonable night's sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment