Wednesday 5 November 2014

Trans Oceania 2014 - Barrow Creek to Aileron | Tuesday, November 4 - 150km



I opted for the van shuttle to the lunch spot at 80km leaving 71km to cycle in 5 hours - quite pathetic really although there was a head wind and it was hot!!
There were some interesting signs to give me reason to stop for a breather.


The best signs, however, were yet to come and led to me to a right hand turn after about 2 hours in the saddle.


















                                                               























After that delicious rest stop, I headed back out onto the Highway and pushed slowly towards Aileron, being passed by the peleton still 20km short of home! I finally arrived around noon and checked into an airconditioned cabin with ensuite toilet for the night to share with John.


 

















After several litres of assorted drinks to rehydrate, I showered and watched the running of the Melbourne Cup. The crowd in the bar dispersed after the race and the manager opened the buffet up to us for complimentary snacks. I joined a few of the boys for some prawns and then headed back to the cabin for a nap before dinner of pasta bolognese courtesy of Mark. Paul and Dara were quite attentive at the riders' meeting preceding dinner.

 

I phoned ahead on the Payphone to book a cabin for me and John in Alice Springs where we will sleep tomorrow and then leave our bikes and bags when we head out on tour to Uluru. A Strongbow Original Cider on ice was in order to finish off the night before lights out to sleep at 7pm!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment